Fol Epi® is an Emmental-style cheese that is instantly recognizable because of its distinctive brownish rind, a result of the toasted wheat flour that coats this soft cheese's surface. Its unique rounded shape is embossed with a decorative image of wheat stalks, a reference to its name which roughly translated means "wild wheat stalk."
Fol Epi® is produced in France's Loire Valley and is similar in flavor to Swiss and Emmental, but is milder and sweeter with a pleasant hazelnut flavor courtesy of the toasted wheat on the rind. Its soft and springy texture is scattered with dime-sized eyeholes. Fol Epi® is rich in protein and makes a wonderful addition to sandwiches. It pairs well with light, fruity wines.
- Perfect on burgers and sandwiches, especially Ruebens
- Melts extraordinarily well in baked dishes and quiches
- Fantastic in gratins and salads
- Traditionally combined with Gruyère cheese in fondue
- Try with apples or pears for snacking
- White Zinfandel
- White Rhône
- White Bordeaux
- Weiss Beer
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Pinot Noir
- Pinot Blanc
- Pale Ale
Available in these Sizes
Bongrain® Fol Epi® Wheel | 6.6 lb.