- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 tbsp. smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 c. plus 1 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 20 large (16-20 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/8 cups fresh corn kernels
- 3/4 c. semolina
- 3/4 c. (about 3 oz.) jalapeño jack cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1-1/2 jalape jalapeños, cored and minced
- 1/4 c. milk
- 20 fresh cilantro sprigs
- For shrimp, combine paprika, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup olive oil in medium bowl. Stir in shrimp. Refrigerate 30 minutes to marinate.
- For arepas, process corn in a food processor until fine. Transfer to bowl and mix in semolina, cheese, sugar, salt, baking powder and jalapeños. Mix milk with 1 teaspoon of hot water and stir into the corn mixture. Divide dough into 10 to 12 balls, 1-1/2 ounces each; flatten into 2-inch diameter cakes.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in large nonstick sauté pan. Fry half the arepas until brown on one side, about 1 minute. Turn and brown other side. Remove from pan and keep warm. Repeat with remaining olive oil and arepas.
- To complete recipe, drain shrimp and discard marinade. Grill the shrimp until just done, 2 to 3 minutes. Place a shrimp on top of each arepa; garnish with cilantro.