Istara P'tit Basque® (“peh-teet boss-k”) is a sheep’s milk cheese that is produced in France's Basque region in the Pyrenees Mountains, the geographic border between France and Spain. Though it was debuted in 1997, the cheese is made using time-tested techniques that local shepherds established centuries ago.
Istara P'tit Basque® cheese’s rind displays imprinted basket-weave markings similar to Spain’s famous Manchego cheese. But once you cut through the rind to get to the delightfully mild cheese on the inside, you’ll notice a world of difference. Where more robust sheep’s milk cheeses like Ossau-Iraty or Manchego can be decidedly assertive, the diminutive Istara P'tit Basque® cheese’s flavor is creamy and sweet with a nutty finish. It also features an appealingly smooth texture and an aroma that is reminiscent of crème brûlée.
Enjoy this high calcium treat with fruits or add it to savory sandwiches.
- The salty flavor of this cheese pairs nicely with the sweetness of black cherry preserves
- Present with peaches, apricots, apples and pears
- Serve with cured meats, olives and pâté
- Build a sandwich with French bread drizzled with olive oil and topped with ham and tomato
- Creates a distinctive appetizer with grilled vegetables
- Ribera del Duero
- Cabernet Sauvignon
Available in these Sizes
Istara® P'tit Basque® Wheel | 1.4 lb. (random weight)