Makes 24 servings.
- 3 lbs. boneless pork butt, cut in 1/4" dice
- 1 lb. mixed boneless chicken, cut in 1/4" dice
- 1 lb. pork fat back, cut in 1/4" dice
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 lb. muenster cheese, cut in 1/4" dice
- Kosher salt to taste
Grind meats and fat through meat grinder using plate with small (1/8-inch) openings.
Place ground mixture in large bowl of standing mixer and add all ingredients except cheese and salt. Mix with paddle attachment. Fold cheese into the farce.
Case sausages in pork hank, twisting to form 4-ounce links. Dry for 1 hour in walk-in cooler.
To poach, bring 4 to 5 gallons of water to a boil. When boiling, turn off heat. Add sausage and cover with lid. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes or until sausages reach interior temperature of 145° F.
Cool sausages on sheet pan lined with kitchen towels. Store in refrigerator up to 5 days.
Grill, broil or bake sausage until hot. The sausages can be made into patties and sautéed until cooked through.
Serve sausage with spaghetti squash "choucroute" and whole grain mustard.