Makes 12 to 16 appetizer servings.
- 10 plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. shallots or onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 French baguettes
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
Preheat broiler to high. Cut tomatoes in half; remove seeds. Broil tomatoes until lightly blackened; dice. In a medium bowl, mix 1/4 cup olive oil, green onions, shallots and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in diced tomatoes.
Slice baguette; brush one side of each slice with remaining olive oil. Broil until lightly browned on both sides. Top with tomato mixture and Cheddar cheese. If desired, broil to melt cheese.