Makes 12 servings.
For Asiago Soft Grits:
- 3-3/4 c. water
- 2-1/4 c. low-salt chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 c. uncooked regular grits
- 1/2 c. 2% low-fat milk
- 1-1/2 c. Asiago cheese
For Sauce &Chicken:
- 1/2 lb. fresh portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 lb. fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 lb. fresh morel or chanterelle mushrooms
- 7 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 3 chickens (2 lbs. each) cut up
- 6 medium carrots, each cut into 4 pieces
- 4 small onions, quartered
- 4 stalks celery, each cut into 4 pieces
- 2 medium leeks, each trimmed and quartered
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 bunch (1/2 oz. total) fresh thyme
- 4 c. low-salt chicken broth
- 1/3 c. shallot, chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- Asiago Soft Grits
- Parsley leaves, for garnish
- Fresh chives, for garnish
To Make Asiago Soft Grits:
Bring water, broth, salt, pepper and garlic to a boil in large saucepan. Gradually stir in grits. Cover and reduce heat simmering 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, stir in milk and grated cheese. Serve warm.
To Make Sauce & Chicken:
Using a sharp knife, remove brown gills from the undersides of portobello mushrooms and discard gills. Remove and reserve stems from portobello, shiitake and morel mushrooms. Slice mushroom caps and set aside.
Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add half the chicken legs and wings and sauté 8 minutes or until browned. Place in large stockpot and set aside. Repeat procedure with 2 teaspoons olive oil and remaining legs and wings.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrot pieces, onions, celery, leeks, bay leaves and fresh thyme. Sauté 12 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned. Add carrot mixture to stockpot. Stir in reserved mushroom stems and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer one hour.
Remove chicken legs and wings, set aside, and keep warm. Strain stock through a colander into a large bowl, and set stock aside. Discard solids.
Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in skillet over medium heat and add remaining uncooked chicken pieces and cook 2-1/2 minutes on each side or until browned. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until done, turning as needed. Remove from skillet and set aside and keep warm.
Heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and 2 teaspoons thyme and sauté 1 minute. Add sliced mushroom caps, sauté 5 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cook uncovered 7 minutes or until sauce is reduced to 6 cups.
Serve with Asiago Soft Grits.