Makes 4 servings.
- 1-1/2 c. aged Asiago cheese, grated
- 1/4 c. dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 eggplant (about 24 oz.) cut crosswise in 16 thin (3/16") slices
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-1/2 c. seasoned tomato or marinara sauce, homemade or top quality purchased
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, cut in 16 slices
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp. capers, rinsed
- 1/4 c. Italian green olives, pitted and sliced 3/16" thick
In small bowl, mix Asiago cheese, breadcrumbs and 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil; set aside.
Using 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, brush eggplant slices on both sides; season with salt and pepper. Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill each slice 3 minutes; turn and grill 2 minutes longer. Remove slices and cool.
Heat oven to 425° Fahrenheit. In large baking pan, spoon 8 tablespoons of tomato sauce in 8 circles. Place a slice of eggplant over each pool of sauce. Top with 1 slice Mozzarella, a basil leaf and another tablespoon of sauce. Repeat layers, using all ingredients and ending with all remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle the cheese/crumb mixture over each eggplant stack. Drizzle remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil over all stacks. Bake 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle capers and olives over each stack.
*If made ahead and refrigerated, reduce oven temperature to 375° Fahrenheit and bake 25 minutes.