Makes 4 servings.
- 32 squares (5” x 5”) phyllo dough
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups spinach, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 3 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup spicy marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, shredded
- Fresh basil, chopped for garnish
Preheat oven to 375° F. Brush each sheet of phyllo with the melted butter and layer to make 8 stacks of 4 sheets each. When stacking, rotate each sheet slightly so that the corners do not match up evenly. Cover the stacks with a damp towel or plastic wrap until you are ready to use.
In a mixing bowl, combine the spinach, feta cheese, garlic, eggs, salt and pepper. Place a portion of the spinach-feta mixture on each phyllo stack. Pull the phyllo up over the mixture and pinch it together to make a pouch. Bake the pouches until golden brown. Warm the marinara sauce and place in a shallow serving bowl or plate. Place the pouches atop the sauce and sprinkle with the Asiago cheese, black pepper and fresh basil for garnish. Serve hot.