Makes 4 servings.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, peeled & sliced into 1/8" strips
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 6 6oz. mediallions of beef tenderloin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper, ground
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 4 oz. portabello mushrooms, stems removed, diced
- 2 bosc peats, pared, cored and cut into 1/2" thick slices
- 1 head curly endive, washed and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 4 oz. Italian parsley, stems removed
- 4 oz. Manchego cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1-1/4 cup red wine vinaigrette
Heat olive oil in a small sauté pan until just smoking, then add the onion strips and sauté 5 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat, add the balsamic vinegar and sugar. Toss well to coat, pour into a small bowl and set aside. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Grill 1-1/2 minutes, then turn the cook 1 minute more for medium rare. Remove to a wam plate. (Beef may be broiled.) Meanwhile, heat canola oil in another sauté pan and cook diced mushrooms until they release their liquid. Immediately transfer to a large bowl and add the endive, sauteed red onion, pears, parsley, cheese, salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of red wine vinaigrette and toss well.
Divide the salad among four plates. Place the beef tenderloin on each plate, beside the salad. Drizzle some of the remaining red wine vinaigrette around each salad. Serve immediately.