Makes 4-6 servings.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced (about 2 tbsp.)
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and minced
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 qt. (4 c.) heavy cream
- 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 c. (depending on desired consistency) Havarti cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 c. freshly grated horseradish
- 1/4 c. sliced chives
- 4 1-lb (16-oz.) rib-eye beef steaks, preferably dry-aged
Prepare outdoor grill for cooking, if using. Heat medium saucepan over low heat; add olive oil, shallots and garlic with pinch of salt; sauté over low heat for 2 minutes, until shallots and garlic are aromatic and translucent. Add vinegar; reduce by half. Add cream; reduce by half (be patient, this takes some time). Check seasoning; add salt and pepper if needed. Remove pan from heat and whisk in Havarti cheese, horseradish and chives. Keep fondue warm.
Season steaks liberally and grill to your liking. Cook over outside or stovetop grill to desired doneness. Pour fondue into fondue pot over heat. Cut steaks into bite-sized pieces and dip!