Makes 4 Sandwiches.
- 3 medium pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- 6 Tbsp. maple syrup, divided
- 6 Tbsp. apple cider
- 1-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 slices of thick hickory-smoked bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 thick slices potato bread
- Great Midwest® Naturally Smoked Cheddar cheese, sliced
- 12 thick slices deli-style smoked honey ham
Place pears, 5 tablespoons of maple syrup, apple cider and cayenne pepper in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook stirring frequently until the pears are soft and most of the liquid is gone. Mash. Stir in bacon crumbles . Keep warm and set aside.
Mix remaining 1 tablespoonsof maple syrup with softened butter.
Heat griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spread maple butter evenly on 1 side of each bread slice. Place 4 slices buttered-side down on griddle and layer with 1/2 of the cheese, 1/4 of the pear/bacon compote, ham and remaining cheese. Top with 4 bread slices buttered-side up. Place sandwiches on heated griddle. Grill 3-4 minutes or until bread is golden brown and cheese begins to melt. Flip and cook until bottom is brown. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
Slice in half and serve immediately.