Makes 6 servings.
- 2 slices of white bread, torn into small pieces
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 lb. (8 oz.) lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb. (8 oz.) ground pork
- 1/4 cup (1 oz.) El Cortijo® Manchego cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley leaves, minced
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley leaves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. almonds, finely chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp. saffron threads, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Meatballs: In a large bowl, mash the bread and milk together to form a smooth paste. Add the ground meat, Manchego, parsley, egg yolk, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well. Shape the mixture into 1/2" round meatballs.
Heat the olive oil into a 12" non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add half of the meatballs and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer the meatballs to a paper towl-lined plate and repeat with the reamaining meatballs.
Sauce: Add the onion to left over oil inthe skillet and cook over medium, until very soft and lightly browned. Stir in tomato and cook for another minute. Stir in the broth, wine, bay leaves. Carefully return the meatballs to the skillet. Cover and simmer until meatballs are just cooked through, about 5 to 10 minutes.