Makes 8-12 servings.
- 1 cup sugar
- Zest and 1/3 cup juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tsp. unflavored gelatin, softened in 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) il Giardino® Mascarpone cheese, slightly softened
- 1 10-1/2” prepared sponge cake
- 2 kiwi, peeled and sliced, for garnish
In a 2-quart saucepan, combine sugar, lemon zest and juice and butter. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until almost boiling. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, stir 1 cup hot lemon mixture into the beaten egg yolks, stirring vigorously. Return egg mixture to pan. Over medium-low heat, cook until mixture becomes very thick, about 15 minutes, whisking continuously; do not boil. Add softened gelatin and stir until completely dissolved. Pour lemon mixture into a large bowl to cool. When cooled, but not set, whisk il Giardino® Mascarpone cheese into the lemon mixture. Pour lemon mixture into the center of the sponge cake and spread evenly to edge. Cover and refrigerate several hours. Just before serving, garnish with kiwi slices and cut into wedges.