Makes 6 servings.
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. crushed garlic
- 3 oz. Santa Cruz chili powder
- 1 c. olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped (1 1/2 c.)
- 1/4 c. fresh lime juice
- 6 center-cut beef tenderloin steaks (8 oz. each)
- Yellow Pepper Coulis
- Pepper Coulis
- Shrimp Nachos
- Wild Mushroom Relleños
- 2 corn tortillas, each cut into 6 wedges
- Oil for deep frying
- 3 oz. gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 1-1/2 tsp. Santa Cruz chili powder or other
- 1/4 smoked poblano chili, peeled and seeded
- 3 Tbsp. sun-dried tomatoes, finely dice
- 12 shrimp (8 to 15 count), peeled and deveined
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Wild Mushroom Relleños:
- 6 Anaheim chiles
- 1 lb. Mexican or other morel mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 3 oz. brie cheese
- 1/4 c. cream cheese
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 c. blue corn meal or other corn meal (as needed)
- Oil for deep frying, as needed
In food processor or blender purée Jalapeño, garlic, chili powder. With motor running, add oil in slow stream until smooth and incorporated. Pulse in cilantro and lime juice. Pour mixture over steaks, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Grill steaks over mesquite or other aromatic wood to desired doneness. Rim dinner plate with Yellow Pepper Coulis. Fill center of plate with Red Pepper Coulis. Set grilled steak in center of plate. Place two Shrimp Nachos on side of steak. Arrange a Wild Mushroom Relleño next to steak.
Deep fry corn tortilla wedges until crisp and golden. Remove from oil, drain and let cool. Reserve. Purée gorgonzola and chili powder. Fold in poblano chili and sun-dried tomatoes.
Spread mixture evenly on each tortilla wedge. Place on baking sheet and reserve. Brush shrimp with garlic-infused olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and grill until translucent.
Warm nachos in 375° F oven to melt cheese mixture (5 minutes). Top each nacho with shrimp and serve hot.
Yellow Pepper Coulis:
Prepare a yellow bell pepper coulis by simmering peppers with garlic, onion, a vanilla bean and chicken stock for 30 minutes and pureeing and straining to serve. Reduce to desired thickness.
Red Pepper Coulis:
Prepare a red bell pepper coulis by simmering peppers with garlic, Ancho chiles, onion and veal stock for 30 minutes and pureeing and straining to serve. Reduce to desired thickness.
Wild Mushroom Rellenos:
Roast chiles over fire until charred. Pull away skin, remove stem and seed, but leave chili in tact. Reserve. Trim and clean morels. Combine olive oil and garlic and pour over morels; toss to coat. Grill mushrooms over charcoal 2 minutes. Chop grilled mushrooms. In food processor puree Brie and Cream cheese until smooth. Pulse in mushrooms, salt and pepper. Pipe cheese mixture into chiles using a pastry bag. Dip filled rellenos into egg whites and then into blue corn meal. Deep fry in 350° F oil for 1 minutes or until crisp. Drain and finish until cooked through. Serve hot with beef.