Makes 8 servings.
- 12 oz. rigatoni, ziti or other medium pasta shape
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and minced
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and julienned
- 1/4 c. ripe olives, chopped
- 1 c. (4 oz.) Queso Quesadilla, Monterey Jack or Jalapeño Havarti Cheese, shredded and divided
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Prepare pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and jalapeño and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add chili powder and stir for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and liquid, cumin, and oregano. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
When pasta is done, drain well. In bowl, combine pasta, chicken, olives, 3/4 cup cheese and sauce. Spoon into 2-quart baking dish lightly sprayed with vegetable oil. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Cover loosely with foil and bake until warmed through and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.