Makes 8 servings.
- 1 c. Parmigiano Reggiano® or hard Italian-style cheese, freshly shredded, divided
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (29 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (about 2-1/2 tsp.)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. dry penne pasta, uncooked
- 1/4 c. fresh basil, thinly sliced
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat for 1 minute. Add garlic; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in crushed and diced tomatoes with their juice. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; stir in red pepper, oregano and salt. Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cook pasta in large saucepan according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the hot water. Return pasta and hot water to saucepan; stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese. Set aside.
Stir basil into sauce. Add 2 cups of sauce to pasta mixture; mix lightly. Spoon onto serving platter; top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.