Makes 12 servings
- 2 cups (8 oz.) sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (4 oz.) Cheddar cold pack cheese, softened
- 1 cup (4 oz.) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 jar (2 oz.) pimentos, diced
- 1 can (4 ounces) jalapeño peppers, drained and chopped
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F. Sprinkle cornmeal in buttered 9-inch square pan, coating pan well. Cream all of the cheeses until well-blended; add garlic powder, oregano and cumin. Beat in eggs. Stir in pimentos and jalapeños. Add cayenne pepper; mix ingredients well. Spread mixture in pan, smoothing top. Bake 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into bite-size cubes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips: This recipe is particularly spicy. For a milder version, reduce the amount of jalapeño peppers. For a tangier flavor, substitute Asiago cheese for Parmesan cheese.