Makes 4 servings.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut into thin slices
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 8 slices marble rye bread
- 4 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 large apple, such as Royal Gala, unpeeled, cut into 8 rings and cored
- 1 pound deli-sliced smoked ham
- 4 oz. smoked Cheddar cheese, cut into 8 thin slices
- Cooking spray
Melt butter in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 8 minutes, or until onion is tender and browned. Stir in syrup; cook 1 minute. Set aside and cool.
Preheat countertop covered grill. Spread 4 of the bread slices evenly with mayonnaise. Top each of the 4 bread slices, mayonnaise side up, with 1/4 of the apple, onions, ham and cheese. Top each with remaining bread slices.
Spray outside of sandwiches with cooking spray. Grill sandwiches 3 minutes, or until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted.