Butterflied Shrimp with Smoked Gouda
Makes 6 servings.
- 3 oz. pancetta or bacon, finely chopped
- 2 c. (8 oz.) Smoked Gouda cheese, shredded and divided
- 1/2 c. dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 2 tbsp. chives, chopped and divided
- 18 jumbo shrimp (13 to 15 count)
- 3/4 c. sour cream
Sauté pancetta over medium-high heat until cooked; about 7 minutes. Cool. Combine pancetta, 1-1/2 cups Wisconsin Smoked Gouda cheese, bread crumbs, butter and 1 tablespoon chives; knead together. Shape into a 9-inch log. Wrap in plastic wrap; place in freezer 10 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, devein and butterfly shrimp, leaving the tails on. Lay shrimp on a parchment-lined or lightly greased 10- x 15-inch jelly roll pan. Slice cheese mixture into 1/2-inch slices and place on each shrimp, pressing to cover meat. Bake at 400ºF for 7 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over breading and bake 3 to 4 minutes more, or until cooked.
For each serving, arrange 3 shrimp on back of salad plate with tails touching. Place a dollop (2 tablespoons) of sour cream in center of each plate; sprinkle with remaining chives. Serve immediately.