Double Delicious Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Makes 4 servings.
- 3 to 4 Tbsps. butter, melted
- 8 slices artisan bread, thickly sliced
- 7-8 oz. Great Midwest® Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, sliced
Using a pastry brush, butter each slice of bread on one side, and place 4 slices, buttered side down, on a work surface. Place on each of these slices of Great Midwest® flavored Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese. Top with the remaining 4 bread slices, buttered side up.
Lightly butter and heat a griddle, heavy skillet or Panini press until hot. Place 2 sandwiches in the skillet and weight with another heavy pan or skillet. Brown slowly on one side for 2-3 minutes before turning, with a spatula, and grilling the other side until brown and cheese melts. It may be necessary to add a bit of butter to the skillet.
Repeat with remaining two sandwiches. Serve immediately.
- If you like, you may spread mayonnaise or mustard on the unbuttered sides of the bread.
- Add vertical slices of dill pickle, thinly sliced ripe medium-sized tomatoes or red onion rings for an extra punch of flavor.
- Use another cheese in place of the Cheddar or Monterrey Jack. Cheeses with good melting qualities will work best.