Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- 1-1/2 c. whole milk
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 2 oz. (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 Tbsp. adobo liquid from canned chile chipotles in adobo sauce or to taste
- 2 c. Asiago cheese, shredded
- 1-1/4 c. Limburger cheese, crumbled
- 2 c. pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 2 c. smoked Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c. pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds), toasted, optional
- Corn chips
- Fried corn tortilla wedges
- Boiled potato skewers
- Chorizo skewers
- Cubed pepper bread
In a heavy sauce pan, scald milk and cream (heated just below 212º F boiling point).
Melt butter in a seperate heavy 2-quart saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook over low heat for about 2 to 3 minutes, being careful not to scorch. Gradually add milk and cream to flour mixture, stirring until smooth. Over low heat, begin adding cheese, blending until smooth before adding additional. Pour into fondue pot or serve in holllowed-out pumpkin for special touch. Sprinkle with pepitas. For dipping, choose corn chips, fried corn tortilla wedges, boiled potato skewers, chorizo skewers or cubed rustic pepper bread.