Golden Harvest Strudel with Creamy Gorgonzola and Mirco Green Herb Salad
Makes 6 servings.
- 3 c. finely diced butternut squash
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 c. thinly sliced onion
- 2 tsp. sweet and spicy pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 12 thawed phyllo sheets
- 1/2 c. melted butter
- 1/2 c. Italian-style grating cheese or Parmesan, finely grated
- 4 oz. crisp cooked Applewood smoked bacon, finely crumbled
- 1-1/2 c. gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
Mirco Green Salad:
- 1 c. micro greens or chiffonade of watercress
- 2 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chervil leaves
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. finely ground sea salt
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Place butternut squash in a shallow baking dish. Drizzle with half of the extra virgin olive oil; season with salt and pper. Roast 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. While butternut squash if roasting, carmelize onion in remaining extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. This should take about 15 minutes. During the last 5 minutes, stir in the sweet and spicy sauce, honey and balsamic.
Lay out one shet of phyllo; brush lightly with butter and sprinkly lightly with Italian-style grating cheese. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets. Spread caramelized onions and roasted butternut squash over one half of the phyllo to 1-1/2" of the sides. Sprinkle with bacon and gorgonzola. Roll jellyroll style from the filling side, tucking in the sides. Place seam side down on a baking sheet. Cut three diagonal slits on top of phyllo. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on wire rack 5 to 7 minutes before slicing.
To prep micro green herb salad simply toss greens and herbs in a small bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice; seaon with salt. Toss to blend. Slice strudel; place on plate. Mound salad over strudel slices.