Panzanella (Italian Bread Salad) with Mozzarella and Fontina
Makes 10-12 servings.
- 1/2 loaf artisan-style baguette, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 2 medium vine ripened tomatoes, seeded, cut into 1/2" dice
- 1 small cucumber, quartered and sliced 1/2" thick
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced 1/2"
- 1 cup basil leaves, julienned and loosely packed
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) fresh Mozzarella cheese "pearls" or cut into 1/2" cubes
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) Italian Fontina cheese, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. nonpareil capers with juice
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place bread cubes on baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes or until slightly dry and just turning golden brown. Remove and cool.
While bread is cooling, prepare vegetables and cheese; place in salad bowl. Combine vinegar, capers, garlic and salt in small bowl; whisk in olive oil.
Toss vegetables and cheese with bread. Pour dressing over top and toss until evenly coated.