Parmesan and Smoked Salmon Pasta
Makes 4-6 servings.
- 1 lb. (16 oz.) whole-wheat or brown rice pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 c. milk
- 1/2 c. fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
- 1/2 c. (about 2 oz.) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 to 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 oz. sliced smoked salmon, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
While cooking pasta, make sauce: in skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Sauté shallot until fragrant and translucent. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Over low heat, slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Add peas and heat, stirring, until sauce is bubbly and smooth. Cook 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in chives, Parmesan, lemon juice and smoked salmon. Cook 1 minute more or until salmon is heated through. Season with salt and pepper and serve over drained hot pasta.