Sauerkraut and Sausage over Mashed Potatoes
Sauerkraut and Sausage:
- 2 medium sweet onions, cut into wedges
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-" pieces
- 1 32-oz. jar sauerkraut, drained
- 2 c. apple juice
- 1 tbsp. caraway seeds
- 1 tsp. coarse ground pepper
- 2 lbs. smoked sausage, such as Polish (2 rings or 8 links, 5 in" each)
- 1/2 c. (2 oz.) Caraway Havarti or Caraway Jack Cheese*, shredded (or 3 1-oz. slices, halved)
- 2-1/2 lbs. russet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 c. (8 oz.) Smoked Gouda Cheese, shredded
- 1 c. milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1/2 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
For sauerkraut and sausage, in Dutch oven, combine onions, carrots, sauerkraut, apple juice, caraway seeds and pepper. Top with the sausage. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
Prepare mashed potatoes: In a 3-quart saucepan, boil potatoes until tender (20 to 30 minutes). Drain potatoes; add the Smoked Gouda cheese. Mash the potatoes. Stir in milk, salt, pepper and parsley. Spoon potatoes onto individual plates; top with sauerkraut and portions of sausage.