Spinach & Smoked Cheddar Panini
Makes 4 servings.
- 1 bag (14 oz.) spinach leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 panini or 2 ciabatta loaves
- 4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 roasted red peppers (from a jar in oil or brine)
- 12 oz. smoked Cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 400° F. Wash the spinach, cut into shreds, then put into a large sauté pan and keep warm. Cook over a high heat, stirring for 3 to 4 minutes until the spinach has softened. Turn into a sieve and press out any excess water. Season the spinach with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper. Split the panini or if using ciabatta, cut in half to make four portions then split and open out. Drizzle a little oil over the cut side of the base. Divide the spinach between them.
Dry the peppers on a piece of kitchen paper, then cut the peppers into thin strips and lay on top of the spinach. Cut the cheese into thin slices and lay on top of the peppers. Cover with the top of the panini. Wrap in foil and place in oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted.