Super Spicy Italian Sandwich with Provolone
Makes 4 servings.
- 1/4 c. quality mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. red hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 8 oz. deli hot Italian coppa* (also called "capicola")
- 8 slices rustic roasted garlic bread, toasted
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1/2 c. hot giardiniera
- Arugula leaves
Mix the mayonnaise, hot red pepper sauce and lemon juice; set aside.
Preheat the broiler. Divide the coppa evenly among 4 bread slices. Place 2 slices of provolone over coppa. Broil until cheese bubbles and melts. Remove from broiler. Spread the giardiniera, then the arugula leaves, dividing evenly, over the cheese. Spread mayonnaise mixture evenly over remaining 4 bread slices and top the sandwich. Serve immediately.
*Coppa is a red pepper, dry-cured Italian sausage, available in many deli's. You may substitute a spicy salami if you must.