Vidalia Onion & Gorgonzola Pizza
Makes three 9-inch pizzas.
- 6 large Vidalia or other sweet onions, peeled (about 6 lbs.)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pkg. (6.5 oz.) pizza crust mix
- 1/4 cup il Giardino® Mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 3 Tbsp. pecans, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 350° F. Cut each onion into 6 wedges, leaving root end intact. Combine onions, oil, salt and pepper in a bowl; toss well. Place in a large casserole dish. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional hour, or until onions are caramelized. Let cool.
Preheat oven to 500° F. Prepare pizza crust as indicated on package. Separate into three individual crusts.
Spread about 1 tablespoon il Giardino® Mascarpone cheese over each prepared pizza crust. Top each crust with 1/3 of the caramelized onions. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons Gorgonzola cheese and 1 tablespoon pecans over each pizza.
Bake at 500° F for 8 minutes, or until crusts are crisp and cheese melts.