Warm Chickpea Pancake with Feta Cheese, Smoked Salmon, Avocado Salad and Black Olive Oil
Makes 8 servings.
- 4 c. whole milk
- 1 stick (1/4 lb.) unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 c. raw chickpea flour, sifted
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 c. Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1/2 c. pitted kalamata olives
- 1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ripe avocados, seeded, peeled and diced
- Juice of 1 to 2 limes
- 3 tbsp. scallions, chopped, white part only
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- Pinch of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices top quality smoked salmon
- 2 c. (about 12 oz.) Feta cheese, crumbled
In 4-quart saucepan, add milk, butter and shallot. Bring to gentle boil. Slowly whisk in chickpea flour. Reduce heat to low. With rubber spatula, stir mixture 3 to 4 minutes. Season with 2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Fold in Parmesan cheese. Pour mixture into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 3 hours until firmly set.
When firm, cut 8 rounds with 2 1/2-inch circle cutter. Heat canola oil in nonstick pan over medium heat. Add as many pancakes as will fit in pan. Cook 1 to 2 minutes on first side, or until golden brown. Flip and cook other side 1 to 2 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan; keep warm. Repeat if necessary.
Place kalamata olives and 1/2 cup olive oil in food processor or blender. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
In large bowl, combine avocados, lime juice, scallions, 2 tablespoons olive oil, cumin, cilantro, salt and pepper. Gently toss.
Drizzle 8 plates with the pureed black olive oil. Place a warm chickpea pancake on each. Crumble Feta cheese over pancakes. Lay slices of salmon flat. Divide avocado salad evenly among slices. Roll salmon around salad and place one on top of each pancake. Serve at once.